Monday, August 27, 2012

Beng Hiang II


Sometimes when we just cannot think of a place or food to eat, my father suggests Beng Hiang. Familiar location, familiar food, familiar servers. Just the familiarity of the place itself is comforting. Beng Hiang's food is always consistent, which is great when you are tired and want predictability.



If you had read my post on our ala-carte dinner at Tung Lok Seafood, you will remember that I had compared their sea cucumber and fish maw dish to Beng Hiang's. The above is what I meant when I said Beng Hiang serves a huge claypot full of it compared to Tung Lok Seafood. The dark gravy that it is braised in is superb as well - great to eat with rice (if you eat rice).


And the popular mee sua makes an appearance again.


You are going to laugh, but the first words that came to my mind when this dish arrived at our table were "bountiful harvest" and "pirate's treasure". The colour... the ingredients: the cubed chicken, carrots, onions, capsicum, baby corn, golden cashews... bursting out of that ring. It looked so appetizing and just looking at this picture of the yam ring makes me want to go to Beng Hiang and order one.



Beat that. I wish you could see from the picture how soft and tender the meat was. It had been braised so long that the fat will just melted / disintegrated in my mouth. As I said in my Westlake post, Westlake's kong bak pau is sweeter with light tones, whereas Beng Hiang's version tastes darker with a stronger hint of spices. The slices of pork belly do not come swimming in black sauce, unlike Westlake's, but I do not mind because they have soaked up a lot of gravy. Beng Hiang's kong bak pau is a must-order.


Finally, the complimentary red bean dessert adding a nice ending to the meal.



Beng Hiang
http://www.benghiang.com/

112 - 116 Amoy Street
Singapore 069932

Tel: 6221 6695 / 6221 6684

Opening hours:
- Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm (last order)
- Dinner: 6:00pm - 9:30pm (last order)

No comments:

Post a Comment