Sunday, September 23, 2012

Jumbo Seafood: Black pepper crab


When my family had dinner at Jumbo with some relatives on a weekday and I could not make it because of work, mom pitied me so much that she packed back a black pepper crab for me (laugh). I had not been to Jumbo for years... at least 10 years, so I was interested in how their black pepper crab would compare to Tung Lok Seafood's.



Jumbo's black pepper crab was more "wet" and there were crab juices at the bottom of the box infused with spicy black pepper, ready to be mopped up with wedges of a toasted crusty french loaf. In comparison, Tung Lok Seafood's was dry, with a heap of caramelised black pepper onion on top, just like how black pepper steak is served.

Both restaurants had their crabs cooked in a generous amount of black pepper so that the flavour went in through the shell and permeated the sweet crab flesh a little at least. I found Jumbo's black pepper crab to be slightly jucier than Tung Lok Seafood's though, despite eating it about 3 hours after it was cooked.

If I had to choose between the crabs, it would be a hard choice, but I would take Jumbo Seafood's.



Jumbo Seafood
http://www.jumboseafood.com.sg/

JUMBO@Dempsey
Blk 11 #01-16 Dempsey Road
Singapore 249673
Tel: 6479 3435

Operating Hours:
- Mon - Fri: Lunch 12pm-3pm; Dinner 6pm-12am
- Sat, Sun, Eve of & on PH: Lunch: 12pm-3pm; Dinner 5.30pm-12am

No comments:

Post a Comment