Monday, July 01, 2013

Xiang Ji Hainanese Chicken Rice


One hot weekend, we were just too lazy to go out for dinner. My father ended up packing back a packet of roast chicken and some chicken liver from Xiang Ji Hainanese Chicken Rice at Haig Road Market & Cooked Food Centre. 



It was mine and mom's first time eating chicken from Xiang Ji. As the chicken looked average to me, at first sight, I did not have very high expectations. But the first piece of dark meat surprised me, and every subsequent piece of meat was a delight. Every piece of meat, including the breast meat, was fragrant and succulent, sliding down my throat easily. Not much chewing had to be involved. In 15 minutes, I had polished off half the chicken without any effort.

What is unique about the way Xiang Ji serves its chicken is that besides providing the usual sliced cucumber, it also provides pickles and coriander. Like a burger, if and when you find the chicken meat too rich, you can get a nice sourish pickle that cuts through the richness. Although I did not feel jela (nauseous) from eating the roast chicken alone, I love pickles and enjoyed them with the meat. They were a thoughtful accompaniment, adding value to the dish. I will certainly be returning for more.



Xiang Ji Hainanese Chicken Rice
Blk 14 Haig Road
#01-34, Haig Road Market & Cooked Food Centre
Singapore 430014

No comments:

Post a Comment